Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Using REBT to Promote Self-reguation in Children


The Challenge Software Program for children was designed to help children establish healthy thinking patterns and learn to identify and effectively challenge thoughts that are unhealthy.
Over the past few years this program has helped hundreds of children do just that. We continue to hear examples where the program is being used to help children struggling to learn how to regulate their mood and behavior. These examples come from children who have experienced trauma, depression, anxiety, and numerous other issues.
Here is an example submitted by one of the children using the Challenge Software Program. Think about how powerful this change in thinking will be for this child.
"I remember a family friend giving me and my friend a bath when we were young.
He put us in the tub and touched me in ways he shouldn't have.
The child reports thinking, "Oh...this is terrible. I am bad and feel worthless."
After using the Challenge Software Program and understanding that she can control her own
thoughts and feelings about herself, she writes a new belief:
"It was not my fault. I was a small child. I can be okay even though a bad
thing happened to me."
I recently presented at an Innovative Counseling conference in San Antonio (click here for slides from the presentation on slideshare). It was great to see the innovation and creativity that is still alive in developing new tools to reach the children of today. It was also great to see that these creative strategies are based soundly on solid approaches like Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT).
We must continue to innovate and create new ways of reaching today's youth. If we do not help them create and maintain healthy beliefs, they will struggle to regulate their mood and behavior their entire lives.
Brad Chapin LCP, LMLP

No comments: